Sunday, February 26, 2012

Day 5 - 2012 again

Update: It's a tumor, not a cyst.

She's eating, drinking and acting normally though. I wrapped a towel around the cage door she hops in/out of so that she doesn't bump into any rough edges. If the size or bleeding (there was some spotting near it) get worse, I'll have to consider having it removed. Since she's so old, putting her under sedation poses a risk. There's also a chance the vet will find more tumors when he removes this one because it's near her mammary glands, and sometimes when one manifests in that area there are more inside. For now though, I just need to keep an eye on the size of it, mix omega fatty acid + vitamins into her food, and treat the area with antibiotics.

I'm calm and collected(ish) now. A few hours ago when the vet said the word "tumor" though, I think I invented/discovered projectile crying. I had my glasses on, and when I took them off later to clean the lenses, tears were sprayed all over the inside. He was so startled when it happened that before realizing what he was saying next, he offered to take me to a movie to get my mind off the situation. In any other moment it would seem like harassment, but I'm pretty sure that's probably just what he tells his kids when he wants them to stop crying like little b**ches

$135 for exam, antibiotics, and food supplements...the surgery would be $400-500 if the tumor changes and I want to have it removed. On the one hand- I appreciate that I'm at a place in my life where I can make this financial decision because that kind of money is in the bank, on the other- I don't want to make that f**king decision.

I'm okay mulling it over now, but any time I think about telling someone I get all torn up again. I talked to a couple friends, and I know I should call my parents to tell them, but I can't bear to keep repeating the story. I guess this has made me consider my stance on sharing really personal things via media...at least then you only have to say it once.

No comments:

Post a Comment