Saturday, March 3, 2012

Day 10 - 2012

Oddly...maybe normally...I don't miss FB or booze all that much.

Even though I tried to make this social experiment harder, maybe I'm just realizing how much I don't need the things I think I do. I'm kinda f**king up Lent by being so good at it. I'm awesome!

But for realsies, I find myself wanting those things for the ritual feeling associated with them more than actual desire. For example, before getting out of bed in the morning I always check/maintain my email then Instagram then FB. Occasionally in the last week I've tapped that blue square as a matter of habit, but not because I have a burning need to connect.

And typically on Fridays I throw myself headlong into Beer:30 at the office to celebrate making it through the week and relieve some of the pressure that's been building. Tonight, instead of doing that I stayed 'til after 7PM to get some extra work done, which also effectively took some weight off my shoulders. The only time it was hard was when someone poured a beer near me and I could smell it-- it smelled like heaven, hops, mistakes and good times.

Then again, FB & booze are by their very nature very social, and since I've been kinda depressed lately I am not particularly motivated to mingle with other people technologically or otherwise. So maybe I'm not awesome, I'm just hermetic. If everything was kicking a** perhaps I'd want to share and cheers to it all.

Lent, if reflecting is key, I might be doing you right after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment