Saturday, February 27, 2010

Day 11

I've been listening to more music lately, you know, to fill the void. I am completely in love with Pandora, and luckily they have an app for that. You probably know what Pandora is, but if you don't, it's free radio based on the Music Genome Project. A bunch of music analysts in their Oakland office have so far mapped around 800,000 songs, defining them by the set of unique attributes each song contains. I think it's effing fascinating. You pick a song or artist that has been mapped, and by matching attributes with other songs a "station" is created that streams random other songs/artists you more than likely, will like. For example, Salt-n-Pepa was streamed on my Missy Elliott station, and predictably I enjoyed it. To get a feeling for why this particular track spoke to my soul, I checked the song attributes:


You're G-D right I dig all those things! I'm totes into party rhymes with a tight kick sound. I could not have explained that as well in my own words, if I said why I liked Push It, it would probably come out more like "I can definitely drop it like it's hot to this tasty jam, it reminds me of wild'n out at the skating rink back in the day!"

Thank you Pandora and lack of FB/Satan, for exposing me to kickin' tunes and helping me refine my own understanding of my awesome taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment