Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Day 8

So to focus more on making living life in real-time/reality better, I've been caring less about other people. That may not sound very J.C.-like, but here's the thing: I'm a compulsive person by nature, so I was chillin' with FB/Satan sometimes up to 20-30 times a day. Now lots of those visits lasted under a minute, but seriously, that's crazy. I wasn't doing it because everyone is all that interesting, I honestly don't much stock in who's feeling grumpy or what they had for lunch, but because I'm a compulsive and voracious consumer of the mundane. Another example is that I like to listen to conversations, even if they don't matter to or include me. Mostly this makes me better at knowing gossip and trivia, but it's also a huge time-suck because I can't bare to miss a single stupid thing. It's fodder for conversation and makes me feel tuned into social phenoms, and I can't seem to help myself.

I'm still rockin' the rabbit ears on my TV rather than cable, so almost all my pop culture references are gleaned from the interweb. FB and Twitter are always the first things I check when I overhear news I want to verify, like Michael Jackson's death or who won the curling match. Rarely does the knowledge make my life any better though. It just satisfies my need to know every single little thing out there, and is probably erasing more useful information in my brain, like the ability to do long division or remember the passwords to the 53 various accounts for which I have an online login. Okay, so I guess I don't care less...because I never really cared in the first place. I just wanted to know what the hell everyone else was doing, thus the checking in 20-30 times a day.

I think J.C. would be down with me striving towards some healthier behavior. Think of all the kittens I could save in the time it was taking me to catch up on what color everyone's bra is.

No comments:

Post a Comment