Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Day 1 - 2011

It's funny how excited I got about this. I actually found myself giddy to free up the time and energy I devote to FB on a regular basis.

BUT (big butt!) the thing I've come to realize is: FB is here to stay. It isn't a fad, if anything it is going to be come more and more relevant in our world. If I hope to communicate and keep up with anyone younger than myself, I have to be open to keeping it a part of my life.

I also happen to think there are healthy vs. obsessive users though, and I know I'm a borderline case (ok, probably more accurately on this scale a I'm borderline obsessive vs. deranged):



It's not that I flood FB feeds with minutia of myself (although we all have that friend...seriously, I don't want to know what you had for breakfast, unless you had this), it's that I effing adore knowing what everyone else is doing so I can applaud, ponder, judge, laugh at, love it...and I check it way too often.

For example: I start by clicking on an upload, then I get lost in that person's albums, suddenly I've been looking at pictures of their cat for half an hour. The kicker is- this is probably someone I don't even remember going to high-school with but friended anyway because based on our friends in common I realized that's why I should recognize them.

Yeah, no bueno.

So as I see it the goal is not to totally give up FB, but simply to begin a quest to find other targets for my time and energy. Hopefully this will help me gain perspective and better habits, or at least give me a few weeks to reflect on pulling back on my random cat stalking...

No comments:

Post a Comment