Thursday, March 24, 2011

Day 16 - 2011

One of my new year's resolutions in addition to getting my teef out, buying adult furniture, etc. is to travel more. I haven't done much to fulfill that yet, so I decided to be impulsive (or at least my version of impulsive, which is to obsess about something over a couple of days and price it out 12 times before booking) and go to Boston this weekend. I've never been and it seemed so silly that I've lived in NYC for almost 7 years, yet have never made the jaunt over to Beantown. I bought round-trip tickets on Megabus (fingers crossed it doesn't tip over, seriously) for less than $50 and my hotel in the financial district booked through expedia is only $248 including taxes for 2 nights. I'm not sure what I'm going to do there yet, but it is exciting to think about going somewhere I've never been. I've also booked Denver in May and am firming up plans for New Orleans in June. Thinking maybe Philly in April...that's another place I've never made the easy trip to.

As much as NY rocks, it's so freakin' great to get away every once in awhile. Not only great, but really it's absolutely necessary in order to keep myself from going crazy. There's something so comforting about leaving the skyline behind and taking things down a notch. Even relaxing in NYC is something I end up scheduling within an inch of it's life, so in the end it doesn't feel incredibly restorative. Somehow too, it feels less like being lazy when I sleep late in a bed that isn't in my apartment.

Coming back is nice too though. Believe me, as fun and chill as it was to spend this past Christmastime back home in Florida, I still had a meltdown when I thought I was going to be stuck there for 4 days more than anticipated because of the epic blizzard. I do value taking it easy and living life at a more even keel, but there's a heroin-esque quality to this f**ked up little island nation. Yes-- NYC can be suffocating, and it's easier to breathe in other places, but I also find myself craving the fight to fill up my lungs because that makes me feel more alive. It took me awhile to get here...and even longer to not want to leave.

So tomorrow I'm off on a great Megabus adventure! But I'll return soon to where my bunny and my heart lie...

No comments:

Post a Comment