Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Day 22

While killing the extra free time I seem to have during this period of social disconnect, I figured out my new Favorite Thing is movies at MoMA. I identify a new Favorite Thing at least once, sometimes up to twenty times a day and all are indelibly labeled "kickass" in the moment they are recognized. I'm like Oprah with ADD, and just making up for the fact that she skipped a year. Yesterday alone the roster included:

-Quizno's, that sh*t is toasty! OMFG remember the rathergood commercial?!!
-hard wax, which the stylist applied to my new haircut to make it all funkyfresh
-Bunnies in Space
-learning that each day has been shortened by 1.26 microseconds as a result of the earthquake in Chile, which shifted the earth's axis about 3 inches
-Justin Beiber
-Google Analytics
-chopping up pickles, which I discovered I can do in a pinch to make relish for my Hot Dog It's Tuesday Night! dinners
-blogging while surfing match.com and shot-gunning Coors Light

But back to MoMA...I was inspired to get a membership to the museum because of all the coolness going on there related to and including the Tim Burton exhibit. My membership awesomely entitles me to see films playing on MoMAs screens for free. In the past few days I've been there to see Sweeney Todd, Batman Returns and Big Fish. What can I say, I'm bananas for Burton and I frickin' LOVE movies. I own over 350 of them and in the last year I watched around 70 titles from Netflix. However, I only sat in a movie theater 4 times. I typically HATE going to theaters, because unlike home viewing that involves interaction with other people and having to wear pants. Also, the smell of popcorn gives me flashbacks to my early years spent in the employ of a cinema chain and the depressingly countless salty kernels I shoveled into paper bags. MoMA has softened me though, because they don't serve popcorn and I can feed my nostalgia for actual reels of film. During subsequent happier years of cinema employ, I instead spent hours above the concessions in a darkened booth. I would thread that sharp translucent stuff through creaky projectors, and in between sets listen to Coheed & Cambria on a cracked CD player while studying for finals. These days digital and 3-D shenanigans are taking over the industry, and the studios are finally getting their technology ducks in a row with the chains. Therefore, non-traditional theaters will soon be the only place to hear that film reel projector click-click-click that makes me feel so warm'n'fuzzy by recalling such sweeter, simpler times. So I will keep checking out movies at MoMA even after the Burton-fest is over, simply to bask in dusty scratchy f*cking wonderful reels of film. You know, because it's one of my Favorite Things.

No comments:

Post a Comment