Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Day 35, eff accuracy

Good times w/ my parents this weekend, lots of iPhone pics (formerly known as mobile uploads) that I wish I could have shared along the way. Alas...well you know.

This one is of Disney World, I mean Central Park on Saturday. I've never ever ever seen it this packed before. 70 degrees and not a free spot on the grass to be found. I thought the last remaining bit of melting snow in this shot created pretty funny dichotomy:


Aside from our park visit, we saw 3 Broadway shows, went to MoMA, St. Patrick's Cathedral, the NY Public Library and took a Stage Door tour at Radio City Music Hall. We ate at Chevys, Carmine's, 5 Guys, Junior's and Virgil's.

Last night I slept for 11 hours. They ran me ragged.

My parents were traveling with a friend of theirs who hadn't been to NYC in over 20 years, so his zest to do (literally) everything possible contributed to this manic schedule. He's a sweet guy with alot of enthusiasm for everything, but I have to admit that since I suck at lying or pretending, I got sick of his amazement with it all because I just can't play along. Sure, Times Square is awesome, and I NEVER GO THERE because the crowded sidewalks make me want to throw myself in front of a Gray Line bus. I didn't want to be rude, because after all my momma raised me right. She was also right there, and if I had been rude I would have gotten smacked upside the head. It was almost like listening to him sing the praises of a less-than-perfect boyfriend though...stay with me: in the respect that although I love it, I also dislike some things about NYC because I know it differently and more intimately. He won't be able to understand why I feel the way I do, because he doesn't possess my experiences.

I had to stop myself countless times from rolling my eyes to avoid cheapening his enjoyment of it all, but for me'n'NYC, the honeymoon is definitely ova. Don't get me wrong- there's lots of wonderful things about this city and yes, it's simply magical at times, but there are also aspects that annoy the sh*t out of me. For example:

-->Have you ever tried to go bowling in NYC? Not only is it as expensive as going to a fancy club and sometimes requires a dress-code, but it's almost impossible to get a lane on the fly. F*ck me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a leisure activity should be a source of planning and stress.

-->I think it's less than cute that I have to choose between OJ or milk when I'm grocery shopping, because if I tried to carry both on the long walk home my arms would fall off.

-->Non-existence of non-gross public restrooms.

-->Hundreds of people have the same "great" ideas at the same time, so there's a 2 hour wait to get a seat at Blockhead's (or anywhere else with cool outdoor seating for that matter) on the first balmy days of post-winter weather.

-->Laundry is an all-evening event.

-->General as*holery and lack of politeness. It's like everyone feels less responsible for their behavior because there's a good chance that right behind them is a bigger as*hole that's going to bump into you even harder than they just did.

-->Douche-bag tourists take over the city on every major holiday and make it impossible to go out to your favorite spots without encountering a mob scene. This year on St. Patrick's day, I dodged all the green idiots and went straight home to drink my Guinness in relative peace at home.

I'm sure that's enough to paint the picture. Anyway, for the sake of my parents' friend I just did my best to smile and nod though as he marveled at the beauty of my neon crazy life.

Ya know, less-than-perfect can still make me hot though, there's always this:


(yep, I went again...)

No comments:

Post a Comment