Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Day 36

The funny part about all this is that I'm fine. I'm not twitching anymore, my social life didn't come to a screeching halt, and the world didn't end. Or maybe it did, I just don't know yet because I can't verify current events by checking status updates.

Now that I've broken my obsessive FB habits, I'm left to wonder will they come back with a vengeance on Easter or will I be more apt to Leave It Alone? As a borderline obsessive compulsive person with Aspberger-like tendencies+, I've trained myself to live a somewhat normal life by repeatedly thinking or saying out loud my personal mantra:

Leave It Alone.

I do this daily. Sometimes hourly. When I'm dwelling on a project at work so much that I play out possible scenarios in my head countless times Groundhog Day-esquely as I lay in bed, or as I'm re-reading an important email over 20 times before hitting "send" I have to do the equivalent of slapping myself across the face and say firmly "Leave It Alone." And then I do. Usually. Sometimes when I'm supposed to Leave Alone a particular boy I really shouldn't be texing, or struggling to Leave Alone a situation that I think I f*cked up and keep trying to fix, I fail.

It's been surprising to me that I have been able to stay off FB this long. Maybe it's because I know I'll eventually be able to go back on it...or maybe it's because I was just fine before Mark Zuckerberg made the damn thing anyway. Before it's creation there were way less Leave It Alones in my life.

+I'm not diagnosed or medicated for any of this but they are undoubtedly part of my personality. Virgo, shmirgo, I'm borderline.

No comments:

Post a Comment