Thursday, March 25, 2010

Day 37

Tonight while I was walking back to my office to change out of my dress and get back into jeans after a work-related party, a random guy who was "only in town for one night" started talking to me as we walked down the sidewalk in the same direction. He asked me where the closest bar was, if I knew any good night clubs, and if I liked sushi. He wasn't threatening, and seemed to be nice (yeah I know, I'm sure Jeffrey Dahmer did too before he took your head off and put it in the refrigerator), but aside from being Not My Type+ I just didn't know how to react being approached that way. These days when someone shows interest in me, I can stalk their FB page, scroll through their match.com photos a few times, and Google the hell out of them. Since I didn't have of any of this context, I just brushed him off and wished him luck on his big night in the city.

I'm pretty sure I didn't lose the love of my life tonight, but it did get me thinking that courtship has changed. I do want to get to know potential gentlemen suitors, but I'd much rather perform some thorough research on my own time and at my leisure. It's definitely more fun to find stuff out about a guy on the fly (OMG remember DATING?!) but this is a big city full of freaky-deaky dudes, so sometimes it's better to meet after you've checked for their name in the U.S. sex offender registry. I know, totally romantic. Still single...but also, still alive! (sigh)

+clean-shaven, articulate, not a bartender

No comments:

Post a Comment